Introduction: Looking for the best balance bike
The feeling of looking at your toddler slowly gaining balance and being able to ride the bike is something that only a parent can understand. Being a 31 year old father of one, I was certainly at a loss looking for the best balance bike for my little son. However, after I went through the line of products available in the market and made the best and smartest choice based on my criteria, I must admit that whenever I look at my son, 3 years old at the moment, racing down the road in our neighborhood on his small bike, I feel immensely proud and happy knowing how quickly he is growing up into a little man.
Many think about getting a bike and then removing the pedals and finally cushioning the butt of the pedals so that their child can learn riding a bike without being hurt. However, what you must remember is that the bike is not meant to be used thus. There are many more parts which can seriously hurt your child if they happen to fall off it while riding. The handles, for instance, can turn much more than you will want them to. Also, there are other parts such as the chain of the bike and the gear mechanism, which are absolutely redundant when the child is actually learning to ride the bike. It is always best to get a balance bike which will be without these potentially dangerous parts and will allow the kids to learn to balance in the safest possible way.
While browsing through the various products available, I made a top 10 list of the best balance bikes available depending on the various factors. To make it easier for you to make your choice, here is a list of the 10 best bikes along with a short review of each.
Before going ahead, let me tell you that I have not listed the names in any specific order since the needs of different person will be different. These are neutral reviews with the pros and cons of each product. The final decision to buy will be yours alone.
Best Balance Bikes In The Market (Short Review)
01 ♦ Strider 12 Sport No-Pedal Balance Bike (4.7 / 5)
The Strider no-pedal sport bike comes with a metal frame. Strider is a world renowned company when it comes to products for kids. The no-pedal balance bike is perfect for the growing kids to learn balancing without hurting themselves. The metal framing ensures that the bike is sturdy and does not suffer any damage due to natural causes. Children as small as 18 months old can start using the bike and the seat is adjustable to suit a 5 year old as well. The 2015 product comes with padded seat as well.
- Light weight and easy to handle
- Comes with maintenance free industrial foam tires which are super durable and comes with better traction as compared to plastic
- Feet rest directly below the seat to keep the feet on while in motion
- Extra padded seat available which can be placed instead of the regular hard plastic saddle
- Price is quite a bit on the higher side
- The replaceable seat is not included with every variety and you need to check it before you buy
02 ♦ KaZAM Classic Balance Bike (4.5 / 5)
The KaZAM Classic balance bike is one of the best products available in the market on which you may lay your hands upon. The KaZAM balance bike is easy to assemble and requires minimal fitting upon arrival. The bike has rubber tire along with inflatable tube and is mounted on a real wheel made of spokes and metal rim. The frame is made of steel and is thus sturdy to handle all the crashes that it might experience during the initial learning days. The best part about using the balance bike is that you will not have to worry about getting your kid off the habit of using the balance wheel. It will allow your kid to learn the balance and the proper way of riding a bike without you having to worry that they might get seriously injured in the process. The footrest is perfectly integrated with the metal frame that allows the rider to enjoy a great ride after they have practiced balancing on this small bike. The adjustable seat and handle height makes it versatile for use by children of a variety of age. This bike is perfect for kids between the age of three to six.
- Metal frame makes it much more stronger than the ones with plastic frame
- Adjustable handlebar and seat height
- Patented footrest design makes it easy to step in and get on
- Metal headset with ball bearing makes it friction free
- The weight can make it a little difficult to handle by the kids
- Plastic seat can be a little uncomfortable for some
- Metal spokes might be the cause of getting hurt if they break I case of accident (metal spokes might also be a pro for some)
03 ♦ Schwinn Balance Bike 12-Inch (4.5 / 5)
The Schwinn balance bike is a great product for the growing kids. The balance bike is great for the 3 to 5 years old and they can learn to balance pretty easily and pretty fast as well. The bike comes with the foot rest for the ones who have already practiced some balancing and can ride quite some distance at a stretch. It is not too heavy and an average sized toddler can actually use the bike with ease.
- The bike comes with a foot rest which makes it easy for the kids to ride it at a stretch as they adjust balancing.
- Metal frame makes it sturdy and can be used for a long duration.
- Handle rotation is 360 degrees, which might not be too good an idea for learners.
- Wheel comes with steel frame and spokes (pro for some) which might cause much injury is any accident might occur.
04 ♦ Diggin Active Skuut Wooden Balance Bike (4.1 / 5)
As is evident from the name, this is a balance bike which is almost completely made of wood. This is one of the lightest products I have come across in the market. The bike comes with adjustable height and completely detachable parts. The tube and tire of the bike is made specifically for this model. The seat and the handlebars come with padding. It can be easily used by kids between 2 and 5 years of age.
- Very light weight
- Restricted handle turn to ensure unnecessary sharp turning
- Adjustable seat height
- Slightly wobbling wheel at times
- Fork attached by a ½” wood piece, making it not too sturdy
05 ♦ Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike Red (4.3 / 5)
by Radio Flyer
The Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike Red is a great addition to your kid’s list of outdoor toys. It is not just any outdoor toy; it will practically help your child to learn the art of balancing a real bike. This balance/running bike will allow the kid to learn riding a bicycle easily and on his/her own pace. There is no fear of them falling off since the frame is small enough to allow the kid to let his/her feet on the ground. The monotube frame and the fork made of steel is great to help with the balance part as well as keeps it safe from accidental crashes.
- The steel frame makes it sturdy
- The easy roll tube makes it smooth to ride
- Perfect size allowing great balancing practice
- Price is moderately low
- The quality of the seat is not too high
06 ♦ Go Glider Kids Balance Bike Lightweight Alloy (3.9 / 5)
by Go Glider
The Go Glider kids balance bike is great for kids between the age of 5 years and 10 years of age. Those who have their kids start riding the bike a little late than other can easily opt for this product. It is one of the few balance bikes which come with a break. There is a rear brake available and thus one will be able to safely use the bike while riding on a downhill path. The foot pegs are wonderfully fashioned to feel like pedals.
- The bike is very light weight.
- The metal frame makes it durable and sturdy.
- Back brake makes it ideal for the downhill rides as well.
- Foot pegs can be removed if not required and can be attached easily without any tool.
- The bike is not fit for the very small ones.
- The quality and the price do not match each other. It is of pretty low quality when compared to the price tag.
07 ♦ Wishbone 3 in 1 Original Bike (4.1 / 5)
This is one of those bikes which are also trikes. Do not get confused, because the design has been so made that you will be able to adjust the bike to suit your need. This can easily be fitted to make a tricycle and then rearranged to make a balance bike either of small or large size. Each and every part is adjustable. If you have a baby who has just learnt how to walk and run freely without falling, this is the ideal product of choice. The product is made of wood and all through non-toxic glue has been used for the product. The safety standard of Europe, America and Australia has been met exceptionally (as per the declaration by the manufacturer). In case you are wondering about the wood used, it is harvested birch and eucalyptus, and thus you will get a pretty good life out of this outdoor toy for your child. There is adjustable seat and the overall build is sturdy looking. This product is fit for children between the age of 12 months and 5 years.
- The product can be used by a very small toddler as well as a little child. The versatility is quite high in case of this product.
- It is made of completely non-toxic material and thus safe for your kid.
- Wooden frame along with the toy type wheel makes it safe for your child to use this product.
- The bike is quite high priced is you consider the fact that it is made of wood completely.
- Wooden frame does not guarantee the perfect angle at all times.
08 ♦ Classic Balance Bike (4.1 / 5)
by Smart Gear
The Classic wooden balance bike is something you will wish to have in case you are not looking for something that your child can hurt himself/herself with. All the parts have been made extremely beautifully to ensure complete safety. It also comes with 5 different height adjustments of the seats, which is quite different from flipping the frame of the wooden bike, as is common with other products. The turn of the handle has been restricted to ensure that the kid does not take a sharp turn while practicing and get hurt.
- It is a lightweight bike made of wood and non-toxic materials
- The wheel has rubber long lasting tire and comes with disc made of wood, removing the spokes and thus making it safer to use
- Limited turn allowed with the handlebar to ensure there is no unwanted sharp turn being taken
- The bike is made of wood, which is not the sturdiest material and is best for the initial days of learning only
09 ♦ MyKick Balance Bike (4.7 / 5)
by Burley Design
MyKick Balance Bike is perfect for your young one who is taking his/her first ride on a bike. The balance bike is great for even the smallest kid who is just learning how to ride a bike. The metal frame makes it long lasting and it can easily withstand all the accidents without hurting your kids. The bike has padded seats and handles which are easy to seat on and provides excellent grip. The adjustable handlebar and seat height make it perfect for use by kids of a range of heights.
- Metal frame makes it highly durable and sturdy.
- Adjustable height makes it perfect for a range of heights.
- Ball bearing hub and headset makes it frictionless to use.
- Padded seat and handlebar.
- The metal frame makes the bike a little bit too heavy for the very young ones.
- Metal spokes can be dangerous in case it breaks during an accident. (However, this is a pro for some)
10 ♦ Children’s Balance Bike No Pedal Push Bicycle (3.8 / 5)
This no pedal push bike will allow your little one to gain the balance needed to ride a proper bike in future. The bike comes with a bell as well, giving them the feel of a real bike as much as possible. It is easy to assemble and very limited assembly is needed once the product is unpacked. The frame is made of steel and thus can withstand all those minor crashes with ease.
- The bike is highly cheaper and much cheaper than many other available in the category.
- Alloy wheel makes it sturdy
- Solid foam tire does not need maintenance
- Steel frame makes the bike highly durable
- No foot rest for the times when the kid has learnt to balance
- The parts are not of the top quality, something you can expect while buying a cheap bike
Benefits Of The Product For The Kids
The balance bike has many benefits in the riding habit of the toddlers. To begin with, it removes the dependency on the balance wheels, which, as many would say, actually delays the learning process of balance while riding a bike. Besides this, the balance bike also is a much safer way as compared to using the regular bikes and then removing the pedals and using padding to make it safe. The main problem with using the regular bikes in such a fashion is that these bikes are meant for those who have learnt riding. There is the breaking mechanism and thus the speed of the regular bikes is not limited. The balance bikes do not run too fast.
How To Choose Best Balance Bike?
- In order to choose the best balance bike, the first thing you need to do is to check the material of the bike to see what it is made of and to ensure that it is sturdy enough for your young one.
- Check the tires, tubes and the balance of the wheels. Any problem in this department might cause serious accident.
- Ensure that the bike will be able to hold the weight of your kid. Each bike has a maximum rider weight capacity which needs to be checked.
- See the adjustability of the seats and the handles. It should be adjustable up to the level of that your kid will be comfortable with and some more as well. Kids grow fast and thus it is best to have a bike which will support him/her even when he/she has grown some inches taller.
- Check the safety mechanisms of the bike. The safety is essential to ensure that your kid does not hurt himself/herself while riding the bike.
- Get the bike which comes with padding on the seats and the handles. It is needed to make the ride comfortable.
Advice For Use
The balance bikes are safe to use and is the best way to get your kids learn how to ride a bike. However, there are a few things that needs to be taken into consideration ad should be kept in mind to ensure that your kids do not hurt themselves while riding the bike.
The first thing that you need to get along with the balance bike is a helmet. It is also a good idea to get some knee guards and ankle guards. The kids might fall off the bike and you will not want them to hurt themselves too badly.
The balance bikes do not come with any breaking system. It is to be used just like a scooter or a skating board. However, on a downhill terrain the bike can gain way too much speed. You will never wish to have it that much speed without any breaking mechanism in place. Thus, parks and plane lands are the best place to ride the bike.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
– Is the rider age mentioned in the catalogue of the bike correct?
The age mentioned is just an estimated number. The perfect way to measure is the height of the bike. To make sure that the bike is suitable for your kid, the height of the seat should be such that the one riding it can easily put the feet on the ground while sitting on the bike.
– Can pedals be attached at a later stage?
No, pedals cannot be attached.
– Are there breaks available?
No, breaks are not available on the bike.
– Where can I get the bike?
The bikes are available at many local stores. Amazon online store is a great place to check out a variety of bike at the same place. The online store also offers extra discounts on the bikes.
– What is delivery time in case of online purchase?
The bikes are generally delivered of cost within two days. For next day delivery some extra amount can be paid.
– What is the delivery charge?
There is no delivery charge charged by Amazon. The only extra charge may be because of special delivery request such as gift wrapping and speedy delivery.
Watching your kid learn how to ride a bike is indeed one of the best experiences. However, it is also your duty to make this learning process smooth, easy and free from much pain. Thus, the best balance bike should find its way to your kid’s garage space. Let the young one learn balancing the fun and safe way, as you become the proud parent watching him grow in life.
Please refer to this article: Balance Bikes For Toddlers